About three weeks ago, we got a taste of the storyline for Skull Island: Reign of Kong. Just yesterday, we got a glimpse of the ride vehicles for the attraction along with new details about the ride system and additional information about the storyline. Skull Island: Reign of Kong will open at Universal’s Islands of Adventure this summer as the resort’s first trackless ride.
According to Universal’s announcement, the expedition vehicles weigh over 70 tons, measure over 40 feet long and 13 feet high, and carry up to 72 guests — much larger than the concept art depicted. The 45-inch tires have the ability to steer individually, allowing for movement in tight areas.
Though not confirmed, it appears that sensors will be used to maneuver the vehicles throughout the ride path. A video released by Mako Madness earlier this month captured Universal testing the ride vehicles, all of which had no driver on-board. As earlier reported, small white sensors seem to be located at the top of the ride vehicles and along the rock work indicating that if there is to be an on-board driver played by an employee, they will have no control over the ride vehicle’s movements.
Although the attraction will consist of one main storyline, there will be five different drivers who each have their own story to tell, offering a unique experience. Universal Orlando has listed the following characters:
- Becky Callahan – a loose-cannon cowgirl who isn’t fazed by the dangers awaiting her on Skull Island.
- Will Denham – a fresh-faced, adventure-seeking younger cousin of Carl Denham, a famed movie director.
- Jinks Costanza – a hardened New York City ex-con who is wary of the island’s mysteries.
- Kalana – a mystical descendant of the natives who first settled on the island.
- Charles “Doc” Jordan – a PhD student in paleontology who is taking time off from his studies to explore the world.
Follow us on Twitter for the latest news concerning Universal’s projects including Skull Island: Reign of Kong.